Choosing Images for your Web App: A Brief Guideline
Often times you'd think that any stock image for your web application is probably fine for your tech product/web app but quite frankly it isn't and it may be sending the wrong message to your target audience.
When it comes to choosing images for your web application, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- The image should be relevant to the content on the page.
- The image should not be too busy or overwhelming.
- The image resolution should be high enough so that it looks sharp on all devices.
- Try to avoid using generic stock images. People by now can identify many of them.
Now let's take a look at some examples of good and bad choices for images on a web application:
- An image that is relevant to the content on the page and does not overwhelm the viewer.
- An image with a clean and simple design that is easy to understand.
- An image that is high resolution and looks sharp on all devices.
-If your image is next to text:
- use an image that has more "negative" space so your text is easily readable.
- avoid using images with people in them as it can be distracting.
- try to use images with a transparent or plain background so your text is easily readable.
If you are images are people then:
- make sure they are relevant to your target audience.
- use real people instead of stock images.
- use images of people that look approachable and friendly.
Branding rules to keep in mind for your images:
- use your brand colors in your images.
- If you have a logo, make sure it is visible and easily recognizable.
- Use images that reflect your brand values.
- An image that is not relevant to the content on the page and is overwhelming to the viewer.
- An image with a busy or complicated design that is difficult to understand.
- An image that is low resolution and looks blurry on all devices.
- An image with people in it that is next to text.
- An image of a person that is not relevant to your target audience.
- An image of a person that looks unapproachable or unfriendly.
Images are an important part of any web application and choosing the right ones can make a big difference in how your app is received by your target audience. Keep these tips in mind the next time you are choosing images for your web app and you'll be sure to make the best choices for your app.